EVAPX™ is an evaporation and crystallisation technology which uses dry air to evaporate waste water, resembling water’s natural evaporation into the atmosphere. The dry air stream allows evaporation to occur at temperatures lower than boiling point and at atmospheric pressure, reducing the costs associated with heating and pressure vessels. Our EVAPX™ technology is an efficient way to achieve zero or minimum liquid discharge (ZLD/MLD), increasing recoveries and reducing waste. Highly concentrated and saline (>5%) waste streams can be evaporated using the technology without scaling/fouling, leaving behind semi-dry salts. The evaporated water and heat energy are then recovered in the dehumidification chamber. EVAPX™ can be powered by electricity, steam, waste heat or solar energy.
Water enters the evaporation chamber where is evaporated using the dry air stream. The solids settle at the bottom of the evaporation chamber and are separated out. The humidified air moves to the condensation chamber where it condenses as distilled water, and the heat is recovered.
EVAPX™ has the following advantages:
- Low operating cost, especially when waste heat is available
- True zero liquid discharge
- Robust and resistant to scaling and fouling, allowing for treatment of highly polluted and saline waste streams
- Produces high quality effluent water
- Low temperature evaporation, allowing use with volatile elements