Zero Liquid Discharge
Zero liquid discharge (ZLD) is a water management approach where all water is treated for reuse and no water leaves the site. This involves a solution that creates a solid waste provides the maximum volume of water for reuse. The technology used in ZLD approaches can depend on the water quality required to allow for water reuse, with selective contaminant removal with solid waste precipitation often an option, or the use of evaporators and crystallisers to produce a pure distillate and solid waste.
Minimum liquid discharge (MLD) are near-zero liquid discharge processes which produce small volumes of liquid waste. It is usually more economical to use a MLD solution compared to a ZLD solution, which will have higher capital and operating costs.
Our HIROX® technology provides chemical free ultra high recovery desalination of wastewater, typically recovering >95% of the water and creating a small volume of liquid waste to dispose of.
Our CIF® and DESALX® technologies provide selective contaminant removal and produce very small volumes of waste brine. When calcium or sulphate removal is the main goal, the system can be combined with a high density sludge (HDS) clarifier to precipitate gypsum solids as a cost effective ZLD solution.
Our EVAPX® evaporation and crystallisation technology can treated the most highly concentrated, saline (>5%) waste steams to recover a pure distillate and can produce either a concentrated brine, a slurry, or solid waste. It uses a dry air stream to evaporate water at low temperatures, reducing the heat input required and costs associated with pressure vessels.
LOW WASTE VOLUMES AND CAN PRODUCE SOLID WASTE
HIGHLY RESISTANT TO SCALING AND FOULING
LOW TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP
CAN RECOVER SALTS FOR REUSE
VERY HIGH WATER RECOVERY (TYPICALLY >95%)
Our MLD/ZLD solutions can be applied to a range of industries:
- Municipal Reuse – High recovery desalination of treated effluent for industrial or potable reuse
- Mining Water – Treatment of complex waters and process streams with minimum or zero liquid discharge outcomes
- Industrial Water – Treating wastewater and process water for reuse, creating a small volume of solid or liquid waste
- Surface Water Treatment & Groundwater Treatment – selective removal of a range of contaminants with minimum waste production
- Power Plants – Removal of contaminants from wastewater through evaporation and crystallisation with the ability to utilise waste heat
Get in touch
Contact us to find out how our minimum and zero liquid dishcarge solutions can help with you next project.