OPTIMAL METAL LOADING
The mining and mineral processing industries use a range of processes to recover and concentrate metals from leached solutions and slurries. Ion exchange is a common hydrometallurgical processes used, and is well suited for recovery of low to moderate concentration targets from complex liquors.
Traditional batch or fixed bed ion exchange often produces a low quality metal solution product that requires downstream purification and concentration, with low ion exchange efficiency and high reagent consumption. These systems can also experience issues during upstream process upsets, including increases in suspended solids concentrations. Clean TeQ Water’s CLEAN-IX® technology aims to overcome these issues while providing customers a range of additional benefits.
Clean TeQ Water’s CLEAN-IX® technology provides highly efficient extraction and purification of a range of metals from slurries and solutions. CLEAN-IX® is a combination of continuous ion exchange and counter-current ion exchange, where the resin and slurry/solution are continuously moved around the system, and are directly contacted in countercurrent to each other. This achieves an extraction rate of typically more than 98% of the contained metal in the solution, and provides an economical method for recovery and concentration of dilute streams.
Clean TeQ Water’s metal recovery technologies achieve very high eluate concentrations. We provide customised flowsheets for our clients, with each ion exchange process step occurring in a dedicated vessel which is optimally sized for its task. We provide turn-key metal recovery solutions for customers and can integrate seamlessly into existing processing circuits where required.
By carefully selecting the resin used as part of CLEAN-IX® continuous ion exchange, a range of different metals can be recovered, including those highlighted in the periodic table below.
Advantages of CLEAN-IX®
CLEAN-IX® offers the following advantages during adsorption of metals onto the ion exchange resin:
- Optimal loading of the ion exchange resin and full utilisation of its capacity, since the resin and slurry/solution move in counter-current to each other.
- High tolerance to suspended solids in the feed and easily handling of upstream process upsets since the ion exchange resin is moved around the system
- Resistance to bed fouling as the resin in periodically advanced
CLEAN-IX® offers the following advantages during desorption of metals into a concentrated solution:
- Highly concentrated elates, providing superior water balance and smaller downstream circuits
- Lower operating cost as close to stochiometric consumption of reagents is achieved
- Allows for direct precipitation, crystallisation or EW
- Tolerates precipitation formed during desorption without blocking up
Our continuous counter-current approach can greatly reduce the pay-back period of scavenging circuits, providing end users extra revenue from dilute sources, such as acid mine drainage, tailings water, pit water and a range of mining or industrial wastewaters.