Mine Water Treatment
The mining industry uses a significant amount of water for transporting and processing ores. Water is commonly sourced from local rivers, lakes, bores, and often requires treatment before it can be used. Challenges are posed by water pollution, tailing dams, and competition for scarce water resources, while additional value often lies in further purification of raffinate streams, or increased recovery of metals from process water and tailings.
Clean TeQ Water has experience helping clients reach a range of water treatment goals, including:
- Clean water production and process water recycling (including removal of TDS, hardness, nitrate and metals)
- Treatment of raffinate/tailings to recover valuable metals (e.g. copper, cobalt, nickel, vanadium, tungsten)
- Removal of metal impurities from process waters and raffinate (e.g. uranium, selenium, antimony, arsenic)
- General process water treatment for disposal (removing salts, sulphates and heavy metals for aquifer reinjection or discharge)
Our Treatment Technologies
We use a combination of proprietary technologies and proven solutions to provide integrated process equipment. Building on extensive experience in both mining and water treatment, we customize our design to the needs of the application and local feed conditions to provide reliable systems with excellent water and metal recoveries.
Targeted Contaminant Removal Using CIF® (Continuous Ionic Filtration)
CIF® is commonly used for selective hardness removal, selective metal removal/recovery, selective nitrate removal, and a range of other general and targeted removal applications.
It can complement or replace tradition membrane processes such as (UF and RO). In CIF®, ion exchange resins are moved between a series of four columns for resin washing and regeneration, providing continuous ion exchange. The packed bed of ion exchange resin also acts like a sand filter, reducing the suspended solids as water flows through the column.
The system offers the following benefits:
- Efficient contaminant removal to very low levels due to the counter flow between water being treated and ion exchange resin
- Reduction of suspended solids as they are filtered using the packed resin bed
- Use of cheaper reagents such as sulphuric acid given the tolerance to precipitates
- Closer to stoichiometric regenerant use due to optimised desorption design, providing lower chemical consumption
- Typically no pre-treatment required
- Robust water treatment, typically without scaling/fouling issues
Sulphate Removal With DESALX®
Our DESALX® technology consists of two CIF® modules in series to first remove harness, and then sulphate in a complimentary process. Sulphuric acid and lime are used as regenerants in the system, providing much lower OPEX than batch ion exchange. The system produces a gypsum based brine which can be sent to an existing lime precipitation system for disposal (zero liquid discharge), or can be paired with a HDS clarifier for ZLD if there is no existing lime precipitation system on site.
TDS Reduction Using HIROX®
Our HIROX® technology is an integration between CIF® and RO, where hardness and other scale forming ions are removed prior to the RO, allowing higher recovery (typically >95%). The brine from the RO is used to regenerate CIF®’s ion exchange resin, providing a chemical free pre-treatment.
Complete Nutrient Removal With BIOCLENS™ or BIONEX™
Our BIOCLENS™ technology is well suited for ammonia and nitrate treatment, providing intense nitrification and denitrification reactions to reach very low ammonia and nitrate concentrations (can be under 1ppm). Bacteria is encapsulated in a PVA lens to protect it from harsh water conditions and provide treatment with less/no sludge.
Our BIONEX™ technology uses ion exchange to selectively remove nitrate from water (to less than 1ppm), and then treat the concentrated nitrate in the brine to produce nitrogen gas and allow brine reuse. This provides a low cost solution for nitrate removal from large volumes of water.
Low Energy Evaporation Using EVAPX™
Our EVAPX™ technology provides low temperature evaporation and crystallisation by evaporating water using a dry air stream. This provides a low energy solution which can tolerate volatile elements, with much better silica and calcium scaling resistance due to the use of flat plate heat exchangers.
We provide a range of solutions to help clients overcome their water treatment challenges in the mining industry. To find out more, please